Cohabitation Agreement South Africa

Cohabitation Agreement South Africa: Why You Need One

If you and your partner are living together but are not married, you may think that you do not need any legal agreements in place. However, it is important to understand that without a cohabitation agreement South Africa, you may leave yourself and your partner vulnerable in the event of a break-up or death.

What is a Cohabitation Agreement?

A cohabitation agreement is a legal document that outlines the rights and responsibilities of unmarried couples living together. It covers a variety of issues, such as property division, financial support, and inheritance rights.

Why Do You Need a Cohabitation Agreement?

There are several reasons why you need a cohabitation agreement, including:

1. Protecting Your Property

Without a cohabitation agreement, your partner may have a claim to your property in the event of a break-up or death. A cohabitation agreement can outline who owns what property and how it will be divided if the relationship ends.

2. Financial Support

If one partner earns significantly more than the other, a cohabitation agreement can establish financial support obligations. This can include contributions towards living expenses, medical expenses, and other costs.

3. Inheritance Rights

Without a cohabitation agreement, your partner may not have any inheritance rights in the event of your death. A cohabitation agreement can ensure that your partner is entitled to inherit a portion of your assets.

How to Create a Cohabitation Agreement

Creating a cohabitation agreement is a straightforward process. You can hire a lawyer to draft one for you or use a template online. The agreement should be signed by both partners and witnessed by two people.

Final Thoughts

A cohabitation agreement South Africa is a valuable legal document that can protect both you and your partner in the event of a break-up or death. It is important to have one in place to ensure that your rights are protected. If you need help creating a cohabitation agreement, speak to a lawyer who specialises in family law.

Comments are closed.